I’ve just created a short video detailing how to get started with Google Templates. They’re a way to create or find templates for use in Google as forms, spreadsheets, docs, and more. When you make your own, students can use them. Templates can be a digital worksheet, a research brief, or the start to a complex lesson using a spreadsheet. Just remember – each Google Doc experience doesn’t have to start with a blank page!
Our after school workshops for teachers and administrators are now available for sign-up via our Google microsite. We have a couple of more classes to add details for, but by in large, this is the listing of classes for the year.
Please be advised that:
- all teachers need to complete at least one class each school year,
- a summer class offered in 2013 counts towards the 2013-14 school year,
- certificates for certification points are offered in the late spring,
- we need at least 5 participants to make a session.
Today we’re offering a workshop on video conferencing and global learning.
Remember that kids will need practice with video conferencing — they need to practice speaking and questioning skills.
Here are some of the links we’ll be referencing:
Presentations and Keynote
Tell me about this presentation – the speaker, the slides, the format…
- How to Live to be 100+
- Presentations should mimic the framework of a good story. Read this blog post and summarize about the use of story
- What are the major points of “Presentation Zen?” Take a look at this Slideshare deck
- Here’s Garr Reynolds talking about Presentation Zen
- Try your hand – I have a Keynote Template for you to try your hand at – each person will develop their own Keynote presentation and then present to us. I’ll then give you feedback.
15 Minutes of Work Time
Download the template and look at details in the notes section.
- Some Power Tips – John shares some of his presentations
- Simple Slides and Backgrounds
- Use color slides to divide up presentation
- It’s okay to break some rules
- Refine, refine, refine – get feedback
- fast tempo – keep engagement up by using a lot of slides
- emphasize visuals over text when you can
- Check out the manual and videos from Apple
- ask yourself what’s the purpose of the slides? Am I giving information away? Or am I leading someone through an experience?
- Best handouts are a written document – how to copy/paste content from the slides into Pages
- Another good handout is a podcast episode – narrated slides into Quicktime.
- Export to PPT into Google Presentations
- Presentation Mode in Keynote with non-mirrored display setting
- Dan Meyer’s Algebra Keynotes
- Steve Jobs with NeXT
- Introduction of PowerMac G4 Cube
- Introduction of the iPhone
Post any questions you have in the comments!
I have analyzed the interest in the summer classes we advertised and this is the official list. If you did not sign up for a session, you are still welcome to attend. Sessions not listed here will not be offered.
- Excel – June 10, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Office – June 10, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Keynote – June 11, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- PowerBlogging & Edmodo – June 11, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Using Visuals – June 17, 2013 – 12:30-3:30 – CO
- Writing to Publish – June 17, 2013 at GHS – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Video Conferencing/Global – June 18, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Interactive Promethean Pt. 1 – June 19, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- GoogleApps for Instruction – June 19, 2013 – GHS – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Interactive Promethean – June 20, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Movie Trailers – June 20, 2013 – GHS – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Video Make & Take – June 24, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30PM
- Google Apps for Instruction – June 25, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Video Make & Take – June 26, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Using Visuals for Instruction – June 26, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Podcasting & Screencasting – June 27, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Google Apps for Instruction – July 15, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- PowerBlogging & Edmodo – July 15, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
- Keynote Masterclass – July 18, 2013 – CO – 8:30-11:30 AM
- Using Visuals – July 18, 2013 – CO – 12:30-3:30 PM
Thank you to everyone who answered my survey for summer classes with technology. I plan to offer some basic sessions for all staff, in addition to integration sessions for teachers and administrators.
Go through the short stack of slides above to see the results of our survey.
Access all of our summer sessions! We look forward to learning with you this summer.
See you this summer!
I’m proud to be a member of VSTE and have served as one of their directors since 2008. Today, Liz Kuhns also serves on their board. Feel free to ask either one of us about some of their free learning opportunities.