Welcome! Technology Times is the blog of John Hendron, director of innovation and strategy for Goochland County Public Schools. I have had this role since 2014, and have worked for this school division since 1999. Since July 2012, I serve on the division’s leadership team.
I write on this blog for multiple audiences, including our teachers, the public, and as a mechanism to develop an online portfolio for myself.
I am a member of the Virginia Society for Technology in Education and served on their board of directors from 2008-2013.
I consider myself closely aligned with a constructivist philosophy of education and have worked closely with our stakeholders to prioritize deeper learning throughout our schools. In 2013, I organized the roll-out of our first 1:1 program as a pilot at Goochland Elementary School. Starting in the 2017-18 school year, we became fully 1:1 in grades K-12.
- University of Rochester (NY), BA with honors in music
- Case Western Reserve University (OH), MA in music education
- Virginia Tech (VA), MA in Instructional Technology
- Virginia Commonwealth University (VA), EdD in Leadership
Major Job Responsibilities
- Management of the Division Strategic Plan (creation, refinement, reporting)
- Management of the Division Technology Plan
- Professional Development Program with Instructional Technology
- Management of Website, Social Media Accounts
- Designer of Division Communications (Graphic Design)
- Student/Parent Component of the 1:1 Program
- Software/Digital Services Purchasing
- Strategic Innovation Grant Program and Symposium
- Team Member, Business & Education Roundtable
- Senior Leadership Team, GCPS
- Management of Furniture Grant Program
Areas of Experience and Expertise
- Media Production (print, video, web)
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Instructional Design
- Team Building
- Project Management and Budgeting
- Education Research
- iOS, MacOS
Google Suite and Administration
- western music history (1600-1800)