If you want to use Google Apps with your students, you must watch the two videos – the first one is posted here.
What is Google Apps?
We are now providing Google Accounts (without e-mail) to students here in Goochland. The services we plan to offer for the 2010-11 SY include:
- Google Calendar
- Google Wave
- Google Docs (Word Processing, spreadsheet, presentations, and forms)
- Google Sites
- Google Moderator
There are a few things to keep in mind when you take students into the Google environment.
- Students must keep their credentials private.
- You may be the first teacher taking your students into the Google environment, so you will need to give them their logins and passwords. You will also need to set the ground rules for using Google.
- Google’s collaborative environment means students can easily share content with one another – which you may not want for a typical type of project. Set clear guidelines for when using their Google account is okay, and when it is not.
- In order for students to share documents, they will need to share with you within their Google Domain. This is different than the domain we use with staff. To get to the student domain, visit: http://docs.goochlandschools.org/
- While we are not giving e-mail accounts to students, they have a “psuedo” e-mail address. It’s their firstname.lastname@example.org. They need to know this when they try to share documents with one another.